18" Wooden Dragon Kukri
Dragon:: All kukris that belong under the carved dragon category are engraved with the picture of dragon on the blade. The engraving is done on both sides to beautify the look of the blade and also to show the craftsmanship of the engraver. The craftsmen who particularly belongs to the “Newars” community of Kathmandu have ancient ties with carving and making sculpture. Newars are the most artistic group among others in Nepali community. There is no significant importance in carving dragon on the blade, it is done simply to comply with the elongated shape of the kukri blade. The carvings are done by hand using only basic tools.
Khukuri: This is a large type of kukri used for sacrificing animals in festivals. “Dashain”, the main festival of Nepalese, which mostly falls in October is celebrated by sacrificing animals (buffaloes/goats) after necessary rituals are done on the 9th day called “Maar” during the 10th day long festival. It is a customary in Nepal that families celebrate the festival by purchasing domestic animal from locals and sacrificing it at home or mostly at temples as an offering to the goddess “Durgamata”. There is also a myth that the whole community where the ceremony is performed will suffer misfortune if the beheading is not done in one clean stroke. All the forging and making of the knife is done by hand using only conventional domestic tools. It takes three men one whole day to finish this kukri.
Historically speaking, 18” khukuri was primarily made for religious ceremonies and also as a no.1 combat khukuri for the soldiers. It was also made for the honorary and distinguished people to mark a deed or one’s position. The khukuri is believed to have existed centuries back but was only realized during the Gorkha campaign of uniting Nepal as one big country in mid 1700’s. The battles witnessed excessive use of large khukuris by Gorkhalis (Gorkha Army) which has also been documented and exhibited in the National Arsenal Museum in Kathmandu, Nepal.
The blade measures 18” long and has a wooden handle thus the definite name. The shape resembles the “BhojPure” version; fat, thick and heavy. Brass fixtures are fitted in the handle to give a dashing look. The normal buffalo hide leather scabbard also has a protecting brass chape to give an overall matching look. 18” Wooden khukuri also comes with two accompanying knives in a considerable size, about 4 inches bladed; a good usable size. 18” wooden is also a good utility knife where heavy duty work of cutting is required. It works like a Machete; a perfect knife for hacking, chopping, clearing motherly things not possible from small or standard sized kukri knives. 18” Wooden’s wooden handle gives a traditional look. It also gives a strong and sturdy grip needed to execute big acts.
Size of blade: 18 inch
Materials: Water buffalo leather scabbard, rosewood handle, 2 x small knives Origin: KHHI, Kathmandu, Nepal
See how the dragon is craved in the khukuri at khukuri house, KHHI, Nepal
KHHI also supplies the following Promotional Materials with every shipment:
- KHHI Warranty Card [1 year Guarantee + Lifetime Warranty]
- KHHI Brochure [Company's profile, its websites, products and related] Info leaflet [Info of Gurkhas and Khukuri]
- KHHI Manual [Tips and techniques on handling, maintaining and using a Khukuri]
- Design Khukuri Pamphlet [Custom-design your own khukuri/ knife through KHHI]
- Letter from MD [An official letter addressed by the MD himself to the buyer]
- Letter of Declaration [Letter of authenticity and confidence declared by FHAN (Federation of Handicraft Association of Nepal)]
- Actual Weight (gm): 1400
- Overall weight (gm): 1950
- Shipping weight (gm): 2400
- Blade finishing: Polished
- Blade sharpness: Standard (very sharp)
- Blade material: 5160
- Place of Origin: Dharan, Eastern Nepal
- Accompanying knives/B-up: Karda Chakmak
- Blade thickness (mm): 10.5
- Handle finishing: polished
- Sheath: Water buffalo leather scabbard
- Tang type: Stick
- Fixture: Brass
- Edge grinding: Semi convex
- Edge Hardness: 55-57 hrc
- Blade (panel) Grinding: Full Flat
- Function: Show Piece, Decoration, Sacrifical, Gift
Give us your valuable review on our items.