Biltong (Pocket Kukri)
Perfect size, a combination of steel and sharp edge and the ability to fit inside a pocket; Handy, Mobility..
Biltong (Pocket Kukri) >> perfect mini kukri knife; very handy and usable
Interesting Story behind the name..
Name of this kukri is actually the imitation of the South African term used for dried and cured meats. This interesting and appealing name is in fact the courtesy of one of the main importers of South Africa who used to buy from Khukuri House KHHI long time back. The gentleman saw the potential of this mini kukri as a better and cheaper means of cutting dry meat hence named it as the BILTONG KUKRI. He started ordering in massive quantity and promoted the knife in his country under the name “Biltong Gurkha Kukri”. This is how the unique name originated that exists till date.
Wikipedia says "Biltong is a form of dried, cured meat that originated in Southern African countries (South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Botswana and Zambia)"
KHHI's version of Biltong knife >>
This 5 inch bladed kukri knife instantly picked up in the local market in Nepal so KHHI also started producing for retail under the same name. Biltong stormed the kukri market in no time and now it’s seen being made by almost every manufacturer. It is now more known as the “Pocket Kukri”. It is because of its perfect size; a fine combination of steel and sharp edge, and the ability to fit inside a pocket; mobility, made the knife very famous and high on demand. It can also be used as a small cutting tool, a domestic utility knife and would come very handy in safari, trekking and for any outdoor cutting activities etc. Its decent weight also makes it possible for whacking despite of its small size. The steel used is same as with the big ones, HC 5160, hence very much durable and functional. It is equally good to give away as gifts and souvenirs to near and dear ones. Its a perfect display piece too. Affordable price, handy size and more efficient in its own right makes the Biltong one of the best sellers of all time.
The shape resembles the popular shape of the standard Gurkha Issue version. Biltong has the typical kukri look. It is well polished overall and has brass fixtures (Sheath Tip and Handle Bolster)
- Size of blade: 5 inch approx. (Traditional)
- Size of handle: 4 inch approx. (Traditional)
- Materials: Water buffalo leather sheath, Indian rosewood/buffalo horn handle, 5160 steel blade
- Origin: KHHI, Kathmandu, Nepal
(You can also order an unpolished version of the Biltong. Please mention it while ordering in the 'Comment/Message Box/Field')
KHHI also supplies the following Promotional Materials with every shipment:
- KHHI Warranty Card [1 year Guarantee + Lifetime Warranty]
- KHHI Brochure [Company's profile, its websites, products and related]
- KHHI Manual [Tips and techniques on handling, maintaining and using a Khukuri]
- Design Khukuri Pamphlet [Custom-design your own khukuri/ knife through KHHI]
- Letter from MD [An official letter addressed by the MD himself to the buyer]
- Letter of Declaration [Letter of authenticity and confidence declared by FHAN (Federation of Handicraft Association of Nepal)]
- Actual Weight (gm): 100
- Overall weight (gm): 125
- Shipping weight (gm): 300
- Blade finishing: Polished
- Blade sharpness: Standard (very sharp)
- Blade material: 5160
- Place of Origin: KHHI, Kathmandu, Nepal
- Accompanying knives/B-up: None
- Blade thickness (mm): 5
- Handle finishing: Polished
- Sheath: Water buffalo leather
- Tang type: Stick
- Fixture: Brass
- Edge grinding: Semi convex
- Edge Hardness: 52-54 hrc
- Blade (panel) Grinding: Full Flat
- Materials: steel
- Function: Trekking, Indoor, Gift, Stabbing
Give us your valuable review on our items.
LOVE THIS BLADE !!!!!
Purchased 3 of these handy blades & give them to the high school graduates in my family !!!
If going out for a steak dinner, drop one these in your pocket & when your cooked RIB-EYE/ PORTERHOUSE is placed infront of you, pretend the restaurants steak knife is just not cutting very well. Reach into your pocket, whip this Bad-Boy out, & start cutting bite-size morsels to enjoy. Watch the reaction of diners around you & when the server returns later -- Their eyes will open very, very, very wide with suprise !!! Howevere , Don't let the petite size of these fool you.. they are most assuredly 'Little Cutting Beasts'.
-- OOORAH & SEMPER FIDELIS.
Date: 2nd August, 2018
MICHAEL S. WHITLOCK 1989 Manak Rd