Raw Panawal (Workhorse)
Raw Panawal Kukri is for raw power and performance. Raw and real Khukuri, heavy duty blade fixed with superior riveted handle and better leather scabbard with easier functioning frog are some of the main features of the Raw Panawal which makes it one of the giants of KHHI’s massive and mastered collection.
Unlike other khukuris of KHHI, Raw Panawal has a hardcore performing blade that skips the long machinery process required for finishing hence the blade is black; the main reason being the preservation of temper (hardness). Khukuri blades tend to lose (drop) some temper when going through the finishing (cleaning & shining) phase in a machine since the friction generates heat and extreme heat burns off some temper and hence may slightly weaken the blade. With the Raw Panawal the initial temper put in the blade while making stays intact all the way till the end and thus edge remains totally stronger and sharper. The rawness of the blade keeps 100% temper in place, which will indeed play a crucial role in doing long heavy duty job.
Blade:: The Raw Panawal blade has a black (raw) blade having semi fuller or layer (hump) running across the main (above) panel of the blade. It is made so to give more strength and durability to the width of the blade while in use and also to cut down unnecessary weight of the blade. The curvature will give much needed support to the flat surface by evenly distributing the impact force created when striking into a target. It is also a display of true craftsmanship as it is complex to craft.
Handle:: The handle of this kukri is made like that of the famous “Panawals” version (the name also says) where the flat tang goes all the way through the handle, and twin rivets are fitted to strengthen the fixtures. The metal tang can also be clearly seen at the two sides of the handle. Indian Rosewood is used to give an overall matching look and sturdiness. The only unusual part is that standard ridges of a regular handle are discarded to make holding easy, comfortable and pain-free.
Frog:: A completely new and more effective leather frog is introduced; the “KHHI Farus”. Unlike regular ones here the belt keeper (loop) is made at the back of the frog itself to make carriage very easy and efficient since it keeps/holds the khukuri close to the body. The Frog is fastened by a shoe lace or sometimes leather thong to strap its two end; this gives a complete new unique look.
Brass metal chape gives a brilliant look and safety as it protects the scabbard’s leather and also prevents from piercing into flesh.
Size of the Blade: 10 inches
Materials: Special leather scabbard, full flat tang riveted Indian rosewood (no ridges) handle, Raw blade, KHHI farus
Origin: KHHI Factory, Kathmandu
KHHI also supplies the following Promotional Materials with every shipment:
- KHHI Warranty Card [1 year Guarantee + Lifetime Warranty]
- KHHI Brochure [Company's profile, its websites, products and related] Info leaflet [Info of Gurkhas and Khukuri]
- KHHI Manual [Tips and techniques on handling, maintaining and using a Khukuri]
- Design Khukuri Pamphlet [Custom-design your own khukuri/ knife through KHHI]
- Letter from MD [An official letter addressed by the MD himself to the buyer]
- Letter of Declaration [Letter of authenticity and confidence declared by FHAN (Federation of Handicraft Association of Nepal)]
- Actual Weight (gm): 710
- Overall weight (gm): 975
- Shipping weight (gm): 1275
- Blade finishing: RAW
- Blade sharpness: Standard (very sharp)
- Blade material: 5160
- Place of Origin: KHHI, Kathmandu, Nepal
- Accompanying knives/B-up: None
- Blade thickness (mm): 10
- Handle finishing: Polished
- Sheath: Black leather
- Tang type: Full Flat
- Fixture: Iron
- Edge grinding: Semi convex
- Edge Hardness: 55-57 hrc
- Blade (panel) Grinding: Chirra
- Function: Heavy Duty, Hunting, Lethal, Military, Outdoor, Jungle warfare, Trekking