Special Karda Chakmak
One of the knives, KARDA, has a sharp edge forged for cutting and skinning and the other, CHAKMAK, has blunt edges meant for sharpening..
Karda + Chakmak for your kukri
The two accompanying knives of a kukri, Karda (Small Utility Knife) and Chakmak (Sharpener) can play an important role as a backup kit, since carrying all necessary stuffs individually is not always possible. One of the knives, KARDA, has a sharp edge forged for cutting and skinning activities and the other, CHAKMAK, has blunt edges on both sides meant for sharpening in case a proper sharpener is missing (not available) . Both knives have iron sheet/brass bolster and butt cap for durability and better look. The hidden tag goes all the way through the wooden/horn handle and is secured by a keeper from outside as seen in the picture. Their housing at the back of the throat of the scabbard keeps the two small knives firmly intact to the scabbard.
Most traditional kukri knives would not be complete without these two knives.
What are Kadra & Chakmak used for?
Most kukris come with two small knives at the back of the scabbard to make the set complete. The small knife with sharp edge is called "kadra" or an extra knife especially used for skinning purposes or as paper knife. Another knife accompanying kardra is the "chakmak" or the sharpener. The traditional method of sharpening a kukri is done by using the chakmak against the edge of the blade to and fro. However, a sharpening stone is recommended.
Traditionally, chakmak was also used to ignite fire by generating sparks by striking against selective stones found in the hilly regions. Khukuri Knives issued to the Gurkhas during world wars did not have the two small knives however standard issue khukuris at present have both "Karda and Chakmak". Most khukuris from the ancient times also had the two knives along with an extra pocket (Khalti) to store small survival kits.
Materials / Features:
Construction Iron rod, Rosewood/Buffalo horn handle
KHHI also supplies the following Promotional Materials with every shipment:
- KHHI Warranty Card [1 year Guarantee + Lifetime Warranty]
- KHHI Brochure [Company's profile, its websites, products and related]
- KHHI Manual [Tips and techniques on handling, maintaining and using a Khukuri]
- Design Khukuri Pamphlet [Custom-design your own khukuri/ knife through KHHI]
- Letter from MD [An official letter addressed by the MD himself to the buyer]
- Letter of Declaration [Letter of authenticity and confidence declared by FHAN (Federation of Handicraft Association of Nepal)]
- Actual Weight (gm): 50
- Overall weight (gm): 50
- Shipping weight (gm): 200
- Blade finishing: Polished
- Blade sharpness: Standard (very sharp)
- Blade material: CS
- Place of Origin: Dharan Eastern part of Nepal
- Accompanying knives/B-up: None
- Blade thickness (mm): 2.5
- Handle finishing: Polished
- Tang type: Half
- Fixture: None
- Edge grinding: None
- Edge Hardness: 52-54 hrc
- Blade (panel) Grinding: None
- Features: utility knife
Give us your valuable review on our items.
I was very pleased when I received these. The Karda is much more functional than the standard one. It comes sharp and with very little effort I was able to put a razor edge on it.
Date: 14th August, 2020